“To provide supportive sober housing to psychiatrically disabled Veterans, who would otherwise be homeless, and to provide program participants with information and advocacy to access existing service programs. The goal for program participants is to maintain stable housing.”
Our Veterans’ supportive housing program was privately established in 1989, as a memorial, to Stanley J. Egan. Stanley, a cousin of the organization’s founders, was killed in action in Vietnam in 1969.
In 1990, the founders purchased an 1847 Jacob Cohen Mansard Victorian in downtown Lynn (Pictured Above) to serve as the home base for the program. This 18-room home was then restored, including new plumbing and electrical systems and opened serving three formerly homeless Veterans. Today, that house, the Main Residence, serves ten veterans in a group home setting.
Within the first two years of operation, a number of the Veterans had stabilized and needed a less restrictive, yet, still supportive housing option. As a result, in 1992, the founders purchased an abandoned legal five-family apartment building located next door to the group home. After of extensive renovations, including replacing the roof, plumbing, safety systems, painting, and furnishings, this additional building was then opened as a step-up Cooperative Apartment Program, now serving up to four veterans.
In 1995, after establishing a sound foundation and proven track record, the founders of the organization obtained non-profit status for the agency, now known, as Habitat P.L.U.S., Inc. (HP). This enabled the organization to continue its mission-driven programs and pursue additional funding sources for the Veterans’ programs. HP currently offers two housing options.